In Confessions of a Shopaholic, Isla Fisher plays a financial journalist who is desperately addicted to shopping. Here are five reasons to watch:
5) It reminds you how the financial crisis started. Filmed before the fall of 2008, Isla Fisher’s character spends with abandon, racking up thousands of dollars of debt on her credit card.
4) You get to see the inside of a Shopaholics Anonymous meeting – and it’s as depressing as you’d think it would be.
3) For two hours, you are invited to ponder the meaning of shopping, question whether it truly can bring happiness, and eventually decide that it cannot.
2) Joan Cusack and John Goodman provide the perfect role models for frugal living: They shop at flea markets and their big splurge is a self-sufficient RV.
1) As a reporter for Successful Saving magazine, Isla Fisher disses store-branded credit cards with their high annual interest rates. They seem friendly at first, she says, but soon they’ll be stealing all your money.
Did you see the movie? What did you think?