If there is a traveler in your life, whether a friend or relative, any gift you buy for him or her should be portable. I like knowing that the gifts I buy for my favorite travelers will be used, so here are my best travel-related Christmas gift ideas—or gift ideas for any holiday or occasion. With one of these suggestions, travelers will not want to leave your gift behind.
[In Pictures: 12 Money Mistakes Almost Everyone Makes]
1. Canon SX30IS Digital Camera. This camera with a 35x zoom is much more portable than today's sophisticated digital SLR camera and lens kits, yet is more advanced than digital compact cameras. It's just the right size for travelers who want to record their experiences with high quality images without taking away from the enjoyment of those experiences by fumbling with a variety of lenses. The Nikon Coolpix P7000 Digital Camera is a comparable option from another popular brand.
2. Apple iPad. The iPad is the best tablet on the market, and tablets are the kings of portable connectivity. This is an essential product for anyone who spends most of their time on the road but still needs to communicate electronically for work or fun.
3. Elgin Travel Alarm Clock. Even in a hotel, a battery-operated travel alarm clock frees you from relying on a wake-up call. This portable device shows it's worth more than the cost for travelers whose lodging of choice does not include hotels. The clock is so compact it will fit anywhere.
4. Moleskine Ruled Notebook. Whether you buy the brand name or a lower-cost notebook, your favorite traveler should not leave home without something to help reflect on their adventures. For some, handwriting helps creative juices flow when typing does not. Inspired by the moment, notebooks are handy and quick for jotting down notes, a journal entry, or even a poem if the mood is right.
5. Garmin nüvi 255 Portable GPS Navigator. For travelers who drive, a portable GPS mapping device is essential. Even for those whose adventures are not restricuted to the inside of a car, this Garmin is the right size for walking excursions as well as bicycling.
[Visit the U.S. News My Money blog for the best money advice from around the web.]
6. Intex Raised Downy Queen Airbed. For travelers who need a comfortable rest wherever they go, an inflatable bed is a great solution. This is a bed set, including a built-in electric pump. If you opt to purchase a different bed, make sure you remember to buy a compatible pump if it is not included.
7. Flip MinoHD Video Camera. Even more portable than a still-image camera, these portable devices ensure your traveler's memories will live forever in high definition. Include the Flip Video Tripod so your recipient can easily create and share video blogs while on the road. For many, the ability to travel is a luxury, but that doesn't mean items to help that travel need to be expensive. Any budget is just enough for finding the perfect gift for a traveler.
Luke Landes writes for Consumerism Commentary, where he encourages discussions about money and consumer issues. Consumerism Commentary regularly tracks and reviews the best credit cards and other financial products.