Some good news and some bad from BlackRock's chief investment officer, Bob Doll. His 12 predictions for 2009 (most of the bad news first):
And now, for some good news...
7. U.S. stocks record a double-digit percentage gain in 2009.
8. U.S. stocks outperform European stocks while emerging markets outperform developed ones.
9. Energy, healthcare, and information technology outperform utilities, financials, and materials. Doll prefers healthcare for defensiveness, information technology for some stability and some cylicality, and energy for cyclicality and cheapness.
10. Stock market volatility remains elevated as periodic double-digit percentage rallies and declines occur.
11. Oil and other commodities bottom and move higher by year-end as emerging economies begin to recover.
12. The U.S. federal budget deficit soars past $1 trillion as the government continues to grow.