1. Show up on time.
2. Wear clean clothes.
3. Don't ask about the vacation policy.
4. Keep your opinions to yourself.
5. Don't surf the net.
6. Don't complain.
7. Assume goodwill in others.
8. Be mindful of the hierarchy.
9. Learn the company's history.
10. Remember coworkers' names.
11. Don't ask for new equipment or supplies.
12. Don't tell inappropriate jokes.
13. Don't get sick.
14. Don't ask to bring your pet to work.
15. Don't check your phone for texts.
16. Don't compare this job to your last one.
17. Assume the training will help you do your job.
18. Don't brown-nose.
19. Clean up after yourself.
20. Keep your work area spotless.
21. Take fewer and shorter breaks.
22. Work a full day.
23. Say hello and goodbye.
24. Introduce yourself to others.
25. Don't bring personal items to work.
26. Don't use the office copier or postage machine for personal use.
27. Don't share your political views.
28. Don't ask about your predecessor.
29. Don't be argumentative.
30. Observe first—then speak.
31. Ask for work.
32. Learn the names of managers and officers.
33. Be friendly to everyone, equally.
34. If invited to lunch, go.
35. If invited for drinks, go.
36. If invited for a date, don't go.
37. Don't brag about anything.
38. Ask your mom and dad not to 'stop by.'
39. Don't say: "I will do it my own way."
40. Come prepared to work, well rested, and ready.
41. Figure out who the 'stars' are and do what they do.
42. Don't be the first one to leave.
G.L. Hoffman is a serial entrepreneur and venture investor/operator/incubator/mentor. Two of his companies have traveled the entire success path from the garage to IPO. Currently, he is chairman of JobDig and his blog can be found at WhatWouldDadSay.com or at JobDig.com.