• Think about how interior space relates to the outdoors; big views should have big openings.
• Sometimes, walls are a good thing—and hide lots of clever storage.
• Style is not a religion.
• Color is cheap.
• Empty nesters can often re-nest in the same spot.
• Homeowners should ask: Will I really use the square footage devoted to a "master suite"?
• Projects from $500 up without a plan are a risky roll of the dice.
• Don't forget hallways and landings.
• Design front porches that are actually usable.
See more at www.stayingput.com.